Sunday 5 July 2015

All in a name


A recent survey by The New York Times has highlighted that up to 20% of women are keeping their maiden names on marriage.

Nova of Washington says -I kept my maiden name because of the trouble and expense of changing my passport, driving license, legal papers, mortgage documents, business cards, etc. I also have an established business and “name” and didn’t want to confuse all of my clients.

Yet there still seems to be some support for the old way of doing things
as Lynn from New York says - Having the husband’s name is more convenient in working with schools and other organisations where the children are enrolled and have their father’s name.

One of my colleagues recently divorced and didn’t like her maiden name and was going to choose a completely new name - so many options!  Eventually she gave up and went back to her maiden name, before re-marrying and ending up with a new surname she actually liked.

If you want any advice about names before or after marriage or divorce then please get in touch. We give free advice so remember that it doesn’t need to cost anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment